Sunday, April 21, 2013

Spaghetti with sautéed scallops and peas

I had this recipe lined up to fix for the past week but didn't get time to make it until now. It was one I was a little skeptical about only because I've never had one of the ingredients but it turned out pretty good. I don't know how often I'll make this meal but I will make it again I'm sure. The original recipe can be found on the Skinnytaste website here




Review: This was a 15 minute meal that was flavorful and tasty. I've never had scallops before so I didn't quite know if I would like it but I like seafood and I know it is a healthy and popular ingredient so I decided to try it. Honestly I'm not quite sure how I feel about them even after trying them but I liked them enough to try them again. They kind of tasted a little like crab so if you don't like that you probably won't like these. Then again if I overcooked the scallops without realizing it that could be why it tasted like crab. It is absolutely an ingredient I will have to work with more often so I can get used to cooking it and cooking it properly. Still, when I ate the scallops with the peas and spaghetti as one bite they were wonderful. Alone not so much, with the other ingredients pretty tasty. Seeing, though, how this really was a three ingredient meal even a novice cook should be able to make this with no problem. I used larger amounts than what the recipe calls for so I would have some for future meals. I also used mini scallops instead of the large ones so I just bought a nearly 2 pound bag of them instead of just six large pieces. Oh, and my scallops didn't brown but it might have been because they were small. Don't cook them until they get brown or you will overcook them. Still cook them the recommended length of time whether they brown or not and if you use small scallops the cooking time might actually be a little shorter.

Recipe:

  • 4 oz linguini, whole wheat or low carb (I used a whole box of 100 percent whole wheat spaghetti)
  • 1 cup frozen peas (I used a 16 oz. bag)
  • 2 tbsp chopped parsley
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 6 large sea scallops, cleaned (I used a 2 lb bag of small scallops)
  • course salt (I used Kosher salt)
  • ground pepper

Cook the pasta in a medium pot of boiling salted water until al dente, according to the package instructions. Add the peas to the boiling water 4 minutes before finished. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water before draining, drain the pasta and return to the pot. Add the parsley and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Stir, adding the reserved pasta water a little at a time. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

Meanwhile while the pasta is cooking, season the scallops with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium flame. Cook the scallops until browned on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip, cook until opaque throughout, about 30 to 60 seconds more while their centers are still slightly translucent (you can check this by viewing them from the side). Be careful not to overcook or they will become tough. Serve over the pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment